Human Kindness Foundation
Human Kindness Foundation provides free books and newsletters about interfaith spirituality to individuals who are incarcerated and to prison/jail staff members. We also send free books in quantity to facilities in the U.S. for use in their libraries or programs.
To request free books for yourself or others, please send the complete name and mailing address to email@example.com.
Below, you will find links to some other helpful resources, including our guide for people who want to begin volunteering inside a prison or jail. For a much more extensive national resource list covering all types of services, go to https://www.prisonactivist.org/
The books we currently have available for free:
- We’re All Doing Time, by Bo Lozoff (also available in Spanish)
- Lineage & Other Stories, by Bo Lozoff
- The Untethered Soul, by Michael Singer
- The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle (also available in Spanish)
- A New Earth, by Eckhart Tolle
- Just Another Spiritual Book, by Bo Lozoff
- Deep & Simple, by Bo Lozoff (also available in Spanish)
- Finding Freedom: Writings from Death Row, by Jarvis Jay Masters
- Nine Paths to Forgiveness: Understanding Ourselves and Others, by Chris Canfield
- Finding God Within: Contemplative Prayer for Prisoners, by Chaplain Ray Leonardini (also available in Spanish)
Alternatives to Violence Project
AVP-USA is an association of community, school and prison-based groups offering experiential workshops in personal growth, community development and creative conflict management.
Prison Yoga Project
PYP offers two yoga books, Yoga: A Path for Healing and Recovery and Freedom from the Inside: A Woman’s Yoga Practice Guide, free to those who are incarcerated.
The Engaged Zen Foundation
EZF is a great Buddhist prison ministry.
Families Against Mandatory Minimums
FAMM is a wonderful organization working to reform unfair sentencing laws.
Lionheart offers the book Houses of Healing, part of the National Emotional Literacy Project for Prisoners.
Prison Activist Resource Center
The Prison Activist Resource Center provides support and assistance to groups and individuals working to reform the prison system.
Prison Mindfulness Institute
The Prison Mindfulness Institute (formerly Prison Dharma Network) is a nonsectarian, contemplative support organization for people in prisons and prison dharma volunteers.
Prison Phoenix Trust
The Prison Phoenix Trust is our sister organization in the United Kingdom. They do beautiful work spreading meditation and yoga throughout the British prison system.
Prison Volunteer Guide
If you are interested in volunteering inside prisons, we highly recommend reading this manual first, written by HKF Board Member, Chris Canfield. You can read it by clicking the link below.
Project Return is a group that works with people who are, or used to be incarcerated using education, skills training, counseling and other programs to try and reduce the recidivism rate.